The University of Derby
Take our MSc Cyber Security and become part of the next generation of leading IT security professionals, fully equipped to respond rapidly to risks and problems.
Information security expertise is urgently needed across all industries today.
- Build your understanding of the managerial and technical elements of information security, as well as enterprise level security
- Choose a course designed in consultation with industry to ensure it delivers all the skills needed for the workplace
- Enhance your employability and career prospects by preparing for the BSI ISO 27001 lead auditor certifications which are highly sought after by employers
- Study innovative techniques being developed through latest research at the cutting edge of cyber security
- Learn how to take a strategic and holistic approach to protecting an organisation's systems
- Be inspired by a teaching team offering a blend of industry experience and strong academic credentials
- Employable Graduates – we’re ranked 15th highest amongst all UK universities and 12th for English institutions with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree: HESA 2016.
Our MSc Cyber Security has been developed to teach you the very latest in information protection techniques, all delivered by academics at the leading edge of research into system penetration and intrusion analysis.
Building a more secure digital society
The speed with which the Internet and information sharing has developed has exceeded the pace of secure infrastructure development. Our MSc Cyber Security is designed to help bridge this gap and meet the accelerating demand for professionals with proven information security expertise.
This course focuses on developing your knowledge and understanding so that you are fully equipped to create a secure and effective information infrastructure for any organisation.
A powerful set of skills
Along with exploring established techniques, we cover the innovative practices which are emerging as a result of the very latest research. You will learn about both the managerial and technical elements of information security, as well as enterprise level security. This includes risk management and compliance, together with issues such as securing networks and system penetration testing.
You will hone a wide range of technical skills that can be applied to protect against specific system breaches. You will also learn how to perform ethical hacking: by understanding many of the techniques employed by malicious hackers, you can mitigate risks and thwart potential attacks.
In addition, the MSc equips you with the skills needed to make vital managerial decisions related to protecting an organisation’s security holistically.
What you will study
You will study modules such as:
- Postgraduate Certificate
- Postgraduate Diploma
How you will learn
You will learn through lectures, seminars, discussion groups, practical sessions, presentations and blended learning.
Assessment is through a mixture of coursework and examinations. There will be a range of coursework techniques, including analytical essays, reports on lab-based problems, assignments using case studies, multi-task portfolios and presentations.
You will require:
An honours degree (at least 2.2) or equivalent qualifications / experience in a computing discipline.
If English is not your first language, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in English (IELTS 6.0 or equivalent).