About the course
A three-day cyber security training course in web application security and secure coding practices, helping to ensure that your software is resilient to attacks.
Proactive Web Defence is an exercise-driven training course that will guide you through exploiting vulnerabilities in a realistic website. Step-by-step tutorials will ensure that you gain a thorough understanding of a modern attacker’s mind-set and capabilities.
Equipped with this understanding, we will move our attention back to secure coding best practice and defensive programming techniques that can be used to make our applications robust and resilient to attacks.How is the course different?
- The course is delivered by experienced security professionals, who perform web application security assessments on a daily basis.
- We focus on teaching offensive security techniques, so that you can fully understand the capabilities of modern attackers and therefore how to defend against them.
- This is a practical, exercise driven course. We’ve developed a realistic web application with common flaws which allows us to show you how attackers would exploit these vulnerabilities in the real world.
- We teach you how to introduce security in your development life-cycle in a practical manner, by combining secure coding principles, design and source code reviews and vulnerability assessment tools.
Who should attend
The course is aimed primarily at web developers although it is also suitable for technical project managers. The content caters for beginners with limited or no security knowledge and gradually progresses to advanced topics. Prior to attending Proactive Web Defence, it is recommended that you:
- Can build a dynamic web application that can communicate with a database
- Have a basic understanding of relational databases and SQL
- Understand the basic principles of web servers and HTTP
- How to identify, exploit and remediate all the common web application security flaws, over and above the OWASP Top Ten
- How to build secure web applications that can withstand advanced attacks
- How hackers attack web applications, web servers and database servers
- How to deploy secure web and database servers that can withstand an attack
- The most up to date and effective secure coding practices
Benefits to your organisation
- Helps to ensure that your software is resilient to an attack, against even the most advanced threats
- Increases levels of trust and reputation when developing for external organisations
- Increases your organisation’s overall understanding of security, reducing the time and cost of remediating vulnerabilities
- Stimulates a positive attitude and an understanding of the importance of security within the development team
- Fulfils secure coding requirements for PCI DSS