Equip yourself with the necessary technical knowhow to transition to a career in computer science with this part-time, fully online conversion Computer Science MSc programme from the University of Liverpool.
Designed for professionals from a non-computing background, this programme will provide you with a comprehensive insight into the modern computer science landscape, and augment this with selected specialist knowledge in artificial intelligence. The career prospects for our graduates have never been better, with over 90% of Liverpool’s computer science graduates going onto well-paid graduate jobs.
Is this the right course for you?
This programme will provide you with a good understanding of the domain of computer science. You will gain a systematic insight into the current theory and practice and bring your understanding of the subject matter up to date, in connection to your first degree or profession.
Through this programme, you will:
• Gain access to a high-demand job sector. This conversion degree is specifically designed for professionals from a non-computing background, providing a thorough grounding in the essential technologies and current trends of computer science.
• Extend your knowledge with specialist modules in artificial intelligence. The University of Liverpool is globally renowned for the strength of its research into artificial intelligence and, through our Digital Innovation Facility, provides a home for world-leading academic research into a broad spectrum of emerging technologies.
• Access our online development environment to practice and refine your new skills. Throughout your programme, you will be exposed to state-of-the-art technologies and have access to industry-standard solutions, available to you as cloud services, open-source software or commercial technology; all included within your tuition fee.
Learn from industry experts
Computer science at the University of Liverpool is research-driven and internationally renowned for its cutting-edge work. The 2021 Research Excellence Framework rated us 5th in the UK for world leading (4*) research outputs, and 100% of research environment rated as world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*). We are especially well-regarded for our expertise in artificial intelligence, and our Digital Innovation Facility, which officially opened in 2022, provides a further hub for our collaborative research in emerging technologies.
Enhance your career opportunities
The skills gap in the technology industry continues to increase. By studying this conversion degree, you will acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to access careers across this field, including within the growing field of artificial intelligence. Job roles you may be eligible for following completion of the programme include software engineer, machine learning practitioner, big data analyst, network administrator, database manager, IT consultant, AI developer, research scientist and information strategy manager.
Learn online anytime, anywhere
Get the University of Liverpool experience wherever you are in the world. This 100% online course features interactive classes and regular contact with staff and fellow students across the globe. Teaching is delivered through our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which provides students with access to all resources required for interactive study online. On this platform, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively with classmates and actively read around your topic through our comprehensive library of eBooks and journals.
Assessments are exclusively through online assignments rather than examinations. You will be assessed through a range of activities, including written assignments, discussion forum participation and journal entries.
All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you want to discuss your previous qualifications and experience before applying, you can contact us via LiveChat on our website.
Applicants should possess either:
- A degree in a subject other than Computer Science or IT, equivalent to a 2:2 UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ experience in employment; or
- Professional work experience and/or other prior qualifications, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants must have reached a minimum required standard of English language and are required to provide evidence of this. Successful applicants from outside the UK must have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 overall or equivalent.
If you don’t have an IELTS or equivalent certificate, you can take our free online English test to assess your proficiency. You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of the list of countries on our website.
Full tuition fee – £15,300* (2022/2023 academic year)
• The tuition fee is fully inclusive of all costs: teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
• If you live in England, you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the costs of your degree. If you are not eligible for a student loan, you will be offered a simple monthly payment plan to spread the cost of your tuition over the duration of your studies.
• You will receive a 5% discount if you choose to pay the full tuition fee upfront.
• Scholarships of up to 15% of your tuition fee may be available.
Scholarships and Discounts
Corporate discounts of 10% are available for organisations looking to invest in the skills of three or more employees. For more information, please visit our website where you can speak to one of our admissions advisors to learn how you can upskill your team for organisational success.
We are delighted to offer different tuition fee discounts and scholarships for eligible students. For more information, please visit our website where you can speak to an admissions adviser.
*All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Annual tuition fees:
Depends on speed of study. £15,300 total fee
Program duration (years / months)