About the course
£365.25 per week
05 Mar 2021
Oxford Nanopore Technologies Ltd is a private company headquartered at the Oxford Science Park. Oxford Nanopore employs approximately 550 employees from multiple disciplines including nanopore science, molecular biology and applications, informatics, engineering, electronics, manufacturing and commercialisation. The management team, led by CEO Dr Gordon Sanghera, has a track record of delivering disruptive technologies to the market and sell to nearly 100 countries. Oxford Nanopore’s sequencing platform is the only technology that offers real-time analysis (for rapid insights), in fully scalable formats from pocket to population scale, that can analyse native DNA or RNA and sequence any length of fragment to achieve short to ultra-long read lengths.
Our goal is to enable the analysis of any living thing, by anyone, anywhere.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join the Oxford Nanopore Team as an InfoSec Apprentice. This exciting and challenging role will perform governance, risk and compliance (GRC) functions, and deliver training and awareness under the guidance of the InfoSec and Cyber Resilience Manager, in order to proactively protect ONT and its information.
The professional development pathway with grow the individual into a Security Operations Centre Analyst in order to become an active member of the detection and incident response team.
Main responsibilities: [include, but are not limited to:]
- Develop skills and experience with security stack in order to support Senior Security Analyst, including for email-based threats, triage and block malicious senders not caught by phishing protection technology. Investigate, respond to and escalate Critical/High/Medium/Low incidents in accordance with internal procedures for malware, data loss andattacker behaviour detections
- Discover, reportand manage vulnerabilities in the IT systems
- Administer and deliver training and awareness activities, from delivering the messaging campaign and exploiting the training and awareness platform
- Collate metrics, and develop and maintainreporting that demonstrates Oxford Nanopore’s security posture
- Work alongside IT service operations to ensure risks are managed and controls applied in accordance with the InfoSec policies and standards
Desirable skills & personal qualities:[Suitable candidates for the role will be able to demonstrate the following skills and attributes:]
- An active interest in IT, Security and Cyber
- A desire to gainknowledge and grow their skillset through structured training, on the job experience and personal development
- A proactive attitude and able to use judgement to take initiative
- Logical and creative thinking skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility
- Ability to work with a range of internal and external people
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations,articulatingtechnical terms to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Trusted to handle sensitive investigations in accordance with the Oxford Nanopore code of conduct
- An A-Level in ICT,OR
- An International Baccalaureate at Level 3 in ICT,OR
- A Level 3 apprenticeship in a similar subject.OR
- A BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (180 credits)
- As well as English and Maths GCSE at grade C or above
- Disclaimer (only applicable in non Covid times) – we have two big company parties a year, a winter party that is a black tie event for employees and a summer party where employees can bring along family and friends. This is typically held at one of our offices and involves a BBQ and other fun activities.
- We also have Thursday night socials – every Thursday after work at the HQ the admin team put out beer, wine and soft drinks for employees to socialise and meet employees from other departments.
- We also have a discretionary annual bonus (typically 10% base salary), private medical insurance and a company gym onsite.
That no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation.
Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.