About the course
CYBER SECURITY L4 APPRENTICE
Programme: Cyber security
Salary: £326.96 per week
Closing date: 22 Jan 2021
IMI is a global engineering group focused on valve and fluid technology. We use our industry expertise to design and develop products to control the flow of liquids or gases in critical applications across a wide range of markets. In business since 1862, we employ some 11,000 people and work with blue-chip organisations in over 30 countries to deliver innovative engineering solutions which address key global trends such as climate change, resource scarcity, urbanisation and an ageing population as well as building long-term value for us and for our customers, creating customer loyalty and enhancing competitive advantage.
Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange.
You’ll be working within the IMI Group IT and Security team based at IMI Headquarters at Lakeside, Birmingham.
You will gain first-hand working experience of both IT and Security through a world class Cyber Security Level 4 apprenticeship.
This will be facilitated through on the job training, working with IT professionals in IMI, with expert service providers and by attending evaluated/examined courses.
Main responsibilities: [you will assume the following during your training]
- Discover vulnerabilities in IT systems.
- Maintain a working knowledge of key controls including anti malware, encryption and network security devices.
- Performing health checks and reporting on findings.
- Analyse and evaluate security threats and hazards to a system or service.
- Research and investigate some common attack techniques and recommend how to defend against them.
- Third party Risk Assessment process - schedule assessment, identify risks and follow up.
- Support asset owners (e.g. Infrastructure or Development team) on assessment and remediation of vulnerabilities.
- Support Penetration Testing activities.
- Provide Cyber Incident Response support.
Desirable skills &personal qualities:
Suitable candidates for the role will be able to demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
- An active interest in both IT and Security.
- A willingness to gain on the job experience in the IMI IT and Security teams.
- A positive can-do attitude.
- Logical and creative thinking skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility.
- Can use own initiative.
- A thorough and organised approach.
- Ability to work with a range of internal and external people.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Maintain a productive, professional IT and security working environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively articulate complex technical terms to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Desired qualifications: [The entry criteria for the apprenticeship programme are:]
- An A Level in ICT, OR
- An International Baccalaureate at Level 3 in ICT, OR
- A Level 3 apprenticeship in a similar subject. OR
- A BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (180 credits).
- As well as English and Maths GCSE at grade C or above
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.