About the course
PG Dip Cyber Security
Businesses are increasingly becoming more reliant on technology to operate. Accordingly, there is a huge demand for cyber security professionals with knowledge of cyber threats and solutions. This 100% online and part-time conversion course is designed for individuals who don't have a cyber security background but want to pursue a career in this exciting field.
PG Dip Cyber Security programme overview
Through this online PG Dip Cyber Security, you will develop your ability to implement and manage cyber defences. You will consider technical approaches as well as commercial and human factors that affect how organisations respond to cyber-attacks. Developing these technical skills and knowledge will prepare you to start your cyber security career successfully. At the end of the course, you will be able to continue your studies and advance onto the full Masters programme.
PG Dip Cyber Security teaching methods
We're a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the-art virtual learning environment (VLE) to deliver our teaching, resources and assessments. Our system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE is accessible 24/7 and allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and live seminars.
For our PG Dip Cyber Security, there's no need to download different software packages. All programming languages are included within the tuition fee, and all work is carried out in an online development environment.
PG Dip Cyber Security assessment methods
All assessments are delivered through our virtual learning environment (VLE). There is no requirement to go to external test centres to sit exams; instead, you will submit assignments through the VLE, such as written reports, discussion forum participation or reflective journal entries.
We believe you get the most out of your time spent studying when you are kept informed of your performance, and we achieve this by:
• assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for end of year exams
• showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the VLE
• rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
• ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Support team
We also have a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
PG Dip Cyber Security study duration
16 months – online and part-time
PG Dip Cyber Security programme structure
You can study the following modules on the PG Dip Cyber Security:
• Launching into Cyber Security*
• Network and Information Security Management
• Information Risk Management
• Secure Software Development
• The Human Factor
• Secure Systems Architecture
• Principles of Forensics and Cyber Law
• Research Methods and Professional Practice*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
PG Dip Cyber Security entry requirements
At University of Essex Online, we believe that everyone should be able to access education. That is why we offer two different entry routes onto our PG Dip Cyber Security, which considers academic or work-based experience.
Academic entry route
You must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
• an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
Work experience entry route
You must meet the following criteria:
• at least three years' relevant work experience
English language requirement
Our courses are taught in English so to study with us you must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or equivalent. If you don't hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, you will be required to pass a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
PG Dip Cyber Security career prospects
Given the increasing need for robust cyber security measures and the skills shortage in this area, this course is designed to make you an attractive candidate in this sector. You will be able to succeed in a range of roles such as Software Developer, Risk Analyst, Threat Management, Secure Systems Designer/Programmer, Information Systems Administrator or Forensic Analyst.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to progress onto our MSc Cyber Security.
PG Dip Cyber Security fees and funding
Full tuition fees – £7,482 (2020-21) *
Our PG Dip Computer Science tuition fee includes all teaching materials and required reading, and there aren't any hidden charges for assessments or resits.
• Monthly payment plan available for those who are self-funding.
• Full payment discount if you pay the full course fee upfront.
• A range of scholarships are available subject to applicants meeting certain criteria.**
• Postgraduate student loans are available in England for the full Masters degrees only.
Please note that you can only apply for a maximum of two discounts or scholarships.
* This tuition fee is net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
** To find out whether you're eligible for our scholarships contact University of Essex Online's Admissions team.