About the course
PG Cert Computer Science
This 100% online and part-time short conversion course will introduce you to the fundamentals of computing. It is intended for individuals interested in the field of computing who don't have the required academic background or work experience to break into this in-demand industry.
PG Cert Computer Science programme overview
Through this online PG Cert Computer Science, you will explore current trends, best practices and gain technical skills, as well as developing your ability to collaborate with others and problem solve. By the end of your studies, you will have gained computing knowledge and skills that will prepare you for a number of career paths in this rapidly growing industry. You will also be able to continue your studies and advance onto our PG Dip or Masters programme.
PG Cert Computer Science teaching methods
We're a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the-art virtual learning environment (VLE) to deliver our teaching, resources and assessments. Our system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE is accessible 24/7 and allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and live seminars.
For our PG Cert Computer Science, there's no need to download different software packages. All programming languages are included within the tuition fee, and all work is carried out in an online development environment.
PG Cert Computer Science assessment methods
All assessments are delivered through our virtual learning environment (VLE). There is no requirement to go to external test centres to sit exams; instead, you will submit assignments through the VLE, such as written reports, discussion forum participation or reflective journal entries.
We believe you get the most out of your time spent studying when you are kept informed of your performance, and we achieve this by:
• assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for end of year exams
• showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the VLE
• rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
• ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Support team
We also have a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
PG Cert Computer Science programme structure
You can study the following modules on the PG Cert Computer Science:
• Launching into Computer Science*
• Object-oriented Information Systems
• Secure Software Development (Computer Science)
* This module is core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
PG Cert Computer Science entry requirements
At University of Essex Online, we believe that everyone should be able to access education. That is why we offer two different entry routes onto our PG Cert Computer Science, which considers academic or work-based experience.
Academic entry route
You must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
• an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
Work experience entry route
You must meet the following criteria:
• at least three years' relevant work experience
English language requirement
Our courses are taught in English so to study with us you must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or equivalent. If you don't hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, you will be required to pass a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
PG Cert Computer Science study duration
8 months – online and part-time
PG Cert Computer Science career prospects
There is a huge level of demand for computer science professionals and this course is designed to enable you to make a career change to this technical field. After completing your studies, you will be prepared to succeed in roles such as Entry Level Software Developer or Programmer, Web Developer or Programmer, and Information System Administrator.
PG Cert Computer Science fees and funding
Full tuition fees – £7,482 (2020-21) *
Our PG Cert Computer Science tuition fee includes all teaching materials and required reading, and there aren't any hidden charges for assessments or resits.
• Monthly payment plan available for those who are self-funding.
• Full payment discount if you pay the full course fee upfront.
• A range of scholarships are available subject to applicants meeting certain criteria.**
• Postgraduate student loans are available in England for the full Masters degrees only.
Please note that you can only apply for a maximum of two discounts or scholarships.
* This tuition fee is net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
** To find out whether you're eligible for our scholarships contact University of Essex Online's Admissions team.