About the course
As the world grows increasingly reliant on technology, the need for knowledgeable computing professionals also rises. This conversion short course is designed for individuals who don’t have a computing background and are looking to move into this in-demand field.
On this PG Dip Computer Science, you will explore the broad field of computer science and gain technical knowhow as well as a pragmatic approach to problem solving. Developing these practical skills and core knowledge is essential to prepare you for a career in computer science. You will also be able to continue your studies and advance onto our full Masters programme.
Teaching methods and style
We’re a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) to deliver our teaching, resources and assessments. Our system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE is accessible 24/7 and allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and live seminars.
For our PG Dip Computer Science, there’s no need to download different software packages – all programming languages are included within the tuition fee and all work is carried out on an online development environment.
All assessments are delivered through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). There is no requirement to go to external test centres. Instead you will submit written assignments through the VLE.
You are always aware of your current provisional grade which allows you to continually evaluate the success of your current study methods and identify areas to improve. We believe that this information helps you to make the most of your course. We achieve this by:
• assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for end of year exams
• showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the VLE
• rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
• ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser
We also have a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
There is a huge level of demand for computer science professionals and this course is designed to enable you to make a career change to this technical field. After completing your studies, you will be prepared to succeed in roles such as: Software Developer, Software Engineer, Web Developer, Requirements Analyst, Network Analyst, Information System Administrator and Project Manager.
At University of Essex Online, we believe that everyone should be able to access education. That is why we offer two different entry routes onto our PG Dip Computer Science, which take into account both academic and work-based experience.
Our courses are taught in English so to study with us you must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or equivalent. If you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, you will be required to pass a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
£7,482 (2020/2021) *
The tuition fee includes all teaching materials and required reading, and there aren’t any hidden charges for assessments or resits.
• Monthly payment plan available for those who are self-funding.
• 10% discount if you pay the full course fee upfront.
• A range of scholarships are available subject to applicants meeting certain criteria. **
• Postgraduate student loans are available in England for our full Masters degrees only.
Please note that you can only apply for a maximum of two discounts or scholarships.
* This tuition fee is net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
** To find out whether you’re eligible for our scholarships contact University of Essex Online’s Admissions team.