About the course
Pursue a career in this high-demand sector while gaining a deep and systematic understanding into the domains of data science and AI with this fully online, part-time Data Science and Artificial Intelligence MSc from the University of Liverpool.
This conversion degree is designed for students from a non-computer science background, allowing you to gain a generalist masters in this specialist subject. The fields of data science and artificial intelligence continue to grow in importance to businesses from all sectors, and this programme benefits from the University of Liverpool’s cutting-edge research in this discipline.
Is this the right course for you?
This programme will provide you with a systematic insight into the current state of the art, and current thinking, within the remit of data science, artificial intelligence in particular, and computer science in general. The programme will complement your first-degree knowledge with a deep and systematic insight into the domain of data science and artificial intelligence.
Through this course you will:
• Achieve a generalist degree in a specialist subject. This conversion degree is designed to provide students from a non-computer science background with a specialist set of knowledge and technical skills that have immediate application within the workplace.
• Develop your skills in a culture of research excellence. The University of Liverpool has a 20-year track record of offering online programmes and is a world leader in data science and IT research. Through our Digital Innovation Facility, opening in 2021, we will provide a purpose build environment for collaborative academic research in emerging digital technologies.
• Study practical solutions to real-world problems. This programme will provide you with the necessary knowledge to research, propose and implement creative solutions to practical problems, and furnish you with a systematic insight into current thinking within data science and AI.
• Access our online development environment to practice and refine your new skills. Throughout your programme, you will be exposed to state-of-the-art technologies and have access to industry-standard solutions, available to you as cloud services, open-source software or commercials technology; all included within your tuition fee.
Learn from industry experts
This programme is delivered by the Department of Computer Science, who are known worldwide for their excellence in artificial intelligence research and have been at the forefront of key developments in computer science since 1983. The 2014 Research Excellence Framework rated 97% of the department’s research as being world-leading or internationally excellent, the highest proportion of any Computer Science department in the UK.
Enhance your career opportunities
Successful completion of the programme will allow you to take up careers in the growing area of data science and artificial intelligence, or in many other computer science settings, including interdisciplinary roles related to your undergraduate degree. The skills you develop will be of use in a wide range of industries including healthcare, government agencies and technology. Potential job titles are varied, and include examples such as data analyst, data scientist, database manager, machine learning practitioner and IT consultant.
Learn online anytime, anywhere
Get the University of Liverpool experience wherever you are in the world. This 100% online course features interactive classes and regular contact with staff and fellow students across the globe. Teaching is delivered through our state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which provides students with access to all resources required for interactive study online. On this platform, you will be encouraged to work collaboratively with classmates and actively read around your topic through our comprehensive library of eBooks and journals.
Assessments are exclusively through online assignments rather than examinations. You will be assessed through a range of activities, including written assignments, discussion forum participation and journal entries.
All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you want to discuss your previous qualifications and experience before applying, you can contact us via LiveChat on our website.
Applicants should possess either:
• A degree in computer science or a closely related subject, equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ relevant IT professional experience; or
• Professional work experience in IT or a related field and/or other prior qualifications, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants must have reached a minimum required standard of English language and are required to provide evidence of this. Successful applicants from outside the UK must have an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 overall or equivalent.
If you don’t have an IELTS or equivalent certificate, you can take our free online English test to assess your proficiency. You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of the list of countries on our website.
Full tuition fee – £15,300* (2021/2022 academic year)
• The tuition fee is fully inclusive of all costs: teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
• If you live in England, you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the costs of your degree. If you are not eligible for a student loan, you will be offered a simple monthly payment plan to spread the cost of your tuition over the duration of your studies.
• You will receive a 5% discount if you choose to pay the full tuition fee upfront.
• Scholarships of up to 15% of your tuition fee may be available.
We are delighted to offer different tuition fee discounts and scholarships for eligible students. For more information, please visit our website where you can speak to an admissions adviser.
*All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Annual tuition fees:
Depends on speed of study. £15,300 total fee.
Program duration (years / months)