About the course
Mode of study: Part-time
Qualification: PG Cert
Indicative duration: 8 months
Start date: October 23
Awarding body: University of Essex
Delivered by: Kaplan Open Learning
Discover how to use data to make business decisions, and gain access to a high-demand field.
The PG Cert Data Science is designed to provide a solid grounding in the techniques needed to start making data-driven decisions, for those without a background in computing or computing professionals looking to move into a more specialist field. You will explore core topics such as:
- the background context and theoretical concepts, from data collection to decision making
- mathematical and statistical methods and their real-world applications within this domain
- data wrangling with a focus on big data
Throughout the course you will develop a number of programs and applications, and the course will focus on the programming languages Python, SQL and R. Towards the end of your studies, there will be the opportunity to progress onto a PG Dip or the full Masters.
Why we’re great
- This programme will equip you with all the tools and knowledge needed to make data-driven decisions in any industry.
- There’s no need to download lots of different software packages – all programming languages are included within the tuition fee and all work is carried out in our online development environment.
- This conversion course will enable you to access the broad range of data science vacancies, even if you don’t have a computing background.
The PG Cert Data Science is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 60 credits.
Component 01: Core
The Data Professional
Component 02: Compulsory
Component 03: Compulsory
Deciphering Big Data
Learning and assessments
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live seminar sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at around 20 students.
In order to meet the technical requirements for this course, students will need access to a computer with at least 8GB RAM.
Our varied assessment methods allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the course content in a wide range of ways. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing programming exercises, participating in team projects, completing reflective journal entries and an e-portfolio, by submitting longer written pieces or by undertaking timed open-book tests at home, without the need to travel to an assessment centre.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our PG Cert Data Science has an indicative study duration of 8 months, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your course, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
Organisations worldwide are collecting more data than ever before, but there’s a significant skills shortage. This programme will help you develop those skills and prepare you for roles such as Data Scientist, Data Engineer, Big Data Analyst, Machine Learning Engineer, Data Modeller, Business Intelligence Lead, Researcher, Qualitative Expert, Data Architect, and Data Product Manager, among others.
Gaining a postgraduate qualification with the University of Essex Online also puts you in good stead for your career prospects. Results from our 2021 student survey showed:
- 92% of students said their course helped develop their research skills
- 89% of students say their studies fit with their future plans
- Almost 60% said their studies had a positive effect on their career
- 25% of students saw their salaries increase by up to 10%
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to take a short aptitude test which is designed to test your ability to handle the intellectual and practical demands of the course. Please note that we will consider your performance in the aptitude test as part of your overall application, so if you don’t pass the test you may still be accepted onto the course. Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue your studies.
Academic entry route
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our PG Cert Data Science, as a minimum you must have an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification.
Work experience entry route
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our PG Cert Data Science, you must have at least three years’ relevant work experience in IT or computer science.
English language requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Fees and funding
Full tuition fee:
£4,056 UK / £4,143 International (2023-24) Δ
- Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
- Full payment discount of 5% if you pay upfront.
- Regional scholarship available for international students based overseas in eligible countries.
- Alumni discount of 10% of the tuition fee available if you are a previous graduate with the University of Essex or University of Essex Online.
- 10% corporate discount available when three or more of your employees study with us.
Please note, a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. The corporate discount can only be used in combination with our upfront payment discount, but not in conjunction with any other discount or scholarship. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships here.
Our course fees are fully inclusive – all teaching materials and required reading are included, and there are no hidden charges for assessments or resits.
Δ All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.