About the course
Records Management for GDPR
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires better records
management from Data Controllers and Processors. They need to know
what personal data they hold and be able to tell individuals how long
they will keep it for, and how to access it. On this workshop, you will
learn how records management aids compliance with GDPR, FOI and
other laws. Information asset registers, retention schedules, digital
preservation and other aspects of a successful records management
programme will be discussed.
“ Really helpful and affirmative about the problems
we face and the steps to take to achieve greater
success in our records management."
MK, Arts Council England
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
- Tackling information overload
- Working smarter
- GDPR and other legal requirements
- What does the Information
- Commissioner say about records management?
- Who should be responsible?
- RM policies
- Making records management sexy – or at least a higher priority!
KNOWING WHAT YOU’VE GOT
- Carrying out a survey
- Creating and maintaining information asset registers
- Search engines and tracking technology
CREATING A RETENTION SCHEDULE
- Developing your retention schedule
- Applying retention rules
- Disposing of records securely
RECORD KEEPING SYSTEMS & FILE PLANS
- What records should be kept?
- Making sure (the right) records can be retrieved
- Systems for managing records
PRESERVATION & SECURITY
- Identifying risks
- Digital preservation
- Data security techniques
- Useful websites and other resources