About the course
SEC401: Security Essentials Bootcamp Style
Sat, April 13 - Thu, April 18, 2019
Contents | Additional Info
Instructor: Ian Reynolds
(IAT Level II)
Excellent tips and links provided today - for more than I was anticipating and many that I plan to use.
Paul Puskorius, The College Board
Excellent material for security professionals wanting a deeper level of knowledge on how to implement security policies, procedures, and defensive mechanisms in an organization.
Brandon Smit, Dynetics
Learn the most effective steps to prevent attacks and detect adversaries with actionable techniques that you can directly apply when you get back to work. Learn tips and tricks from the experts so that you can win the battle against the wide range of cyber adversaries that want to harm your environment.
Is SEC401: Security Essentials Bootcamp Style the right course for you?
STOP and ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you fully understand why some organizations get compromised and others do not?
- If there were compromised systems on your network, are you confident that you would be able to find them?
- Do you know the effectiveness of each security device and are you certain that they are all configured correctly?
- Are proper security metrics set up and communicated to your executives to drive security decisions?
If you do not know the answers to these questions, then SEC401 will provide the information security training you need in a bootcamp-style format that is reinforced with hands-on labs.
You Will Learn:
- To develop effective security metrics that provide a focused playbook that IT can implement, auditors can validate, and executives can understand
- To analyze and assess the risk to your environment in order to drive the creation of a security roadmap that focuses on the right areas of security
- Practical tips and tricks to focus in on high-priority security problems within your organization and on doing the right things that will lead to security solutions that work
- Why some organizations are winning and some are losing when it comes to security and, most importantly, how to be on the winning side
- The core areas of security and how to create a security program that is anchored on PREVENT-DETECT-RESPOND.
Learn to build a security roadmap that can scale today and into the future.
SEC401: Security Essentials Bootcamp Style is focused on teaching you the essential information security skills and techniques you need to protect and secure your organization's critical information assets and business systems. Our course will show you how to prevent your organization's security problems from being headline news in the Wall Street Journal!
"Prevention is Ideal but Detection is a Must."
With the rise in advanced persistent threats, it is almost inevitable that organizations will be targeted. Whether the attacker is successful in penetrating an organization's network depends on the effectiveness of the organization's defense. Defending against attacks is an ongoing challenge, with new threats emerging all of the time, including the next generation of threats. Organizations need to understand what really works in cybersecurity. What has worked, and will always work, is taking a risk-based approach to cyber defense. Before your organization spends a dollar of its IT budget or allocates any resources or time to anything in the name of cybersecurity, three questions must be answered:
- What is the risk?
- Is it the highest priority risk?
- What is the most cost-effective way to reduce the risk?
Security is all about making sure you focus on the right areas of defense. In SEC401 you will learn the language and underlying theory of computer and information security. You will gain the essential and effective security knowledge you will need if you are given the responsibility for securing systems and/or organizations. This course meets both of the key promises SANS makes to our students: (1) You will learn up-to-the-minute skills you can put into practice immediately upon returning to work; and (2) You will be taught by the best security instructors in the industry.
Test your security knowledge with our free SANS Security Essentials Assessment Test.
This course prepares you for the GSEC certification that meets the requirement of the DoD 8570 IAT Level 2.
Please plan to arrive early on Day 1 (8:30AM-Local Time) for lab preparation and set-up. The additional time is needed as the labs require the installation of both a Linux and Windows Virtual Machine (VM) and extensive copying of files in order to run and complete the labs successfully. The Instructor will be available to assist students with lab prep and set-up from 8:30AM-9:00AM. Class lecture will start at 9AM. (Excludes vLive and Mentor)
Course Content Overlap Notice:
Please note that some course material for SEC401 and MGT512 may overlap. We recommend SEC401 for those interested in a more technical course of study, and MGT512 for those primarily interested in a leadership-oriented but less technical learning experience.
SEC401.1: Network Security Essentials
SEC401.2: Defense-In-Depth and Attacks
SEC401.3: Threat Management
SEC401.4: Cryptography, Risk Management and Response
SEC401.5: Windows Security
SEC401.6: Linux Security
"One of the things I love to hear from students after teaching Security 401 is 'I have worked in security for many years and after taking this course I realized how much I did not know.' With the latest version of Security Essentials and the Bootcamp, we have really captured the critical aspects of security and enhanced those topics with examples to drive home the key points. After you have attended Security 401, I am confident you will walk away with solutions to problems you have had for a while, plus solutions to problems you did not even know you had."
- Eric Cole
There are currently no new dates advertised for this course