About the course
This MSc will provide you with a recognised postgraduate qualification in Cyber Security Technology. The programme is designed specifically to enable you to update, extend and deepen your knowledge in Cyber Security and related technology and wider digital leadership and technology subjects, in order to enhance and accelerate your career opportunities.
The programme has been designed for those who have an undergraduate degree in any discipline who wish to study for a qualification which focuses on cyber security. The MSc in Cyber Security Technology is ideally suited to those who have no prior learning in cyber security, the modular content is reflective of this strategy.
- Designed for those wishing to develop or accelerate a career in Cyber Security and Management of Cyber Security
- Work-related assessment wherever possible designed to deliver impact into your organisation
- Develop an understanding of the architectures and security concepts relevant to cloud computing and data storage
- Northumbria University is recognised as a Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research (ACEs-CSR) by the National Cyber Security Centre
- Structured professional practice support for career development or transition, including a career review and development plan
- Delivered over 2 years in Part-Time mode – 14 weekends with supporting online or face to face tutorials as required
- Also available full-time, or as MSc Cyber Security Technology with Advanced Practice which includes an internship, consultancy project or research project.
What will I study?
The MSc Cyber Security Technology programme is designed specifically to enable you to update, extend and deepen your knowledge in cyber security technology and wider digital leadership and technology subjects, in order to enhance and accelerate your career opportunities.
By completing the MSc in Cyber Security Technology, you will be able to demonstrate capabilities in the areas of Digital Leadership, Information Governance and Cyber Security, Cloud and Big Data Security, Introduction to Computer Networks Security, Computer Networks and Security, Research Methods for Professional Practice and Computing and Digital Technologies Project.
As you progress through the programme, you develop as an up to date, well rounded and outward-looking professional, capable of taking responsibility for and effectively leading cyber security and technology projects and people, capable of making good decisions and improving the performance of yourself, your people, your areas of responsibility and your organisation.
The programme recognises that as an aspiring cyber security technology professional you are required to develop competencies in a range of specific cyber techniques alongside softer skills in areas such as leadership, communication, problem solving and commercial reasoning.
By successfully completing your programme you will have not only have demonstrated mastery of these skills but alongside the development of your personal practice your ability to impact personal and organisational performance. It is the combination of these factors that will advance your personal development and enhance your career opportunities.
How will I be taught and assessed?
- You’ll be taught using a range of methods such as workshops, tutorials, directed study and discussion forums.
- You will be encouraged by your tutor to integrate your work practice in the module content and development of assessments.
- For each module, you can expect 24 hours (for theoretical modules) or 30 hours (for technical modules) of overall contact time delivered through interactive workshops and face-to-face classroom sessions.
- To support independent learning, you will be provided with direction from your module tutor. Throughout the 10-week module delivery, you will be expected to engage with the module content.
- You will also be expected to engage in independent study, around 170-176 hours for each module. This will be supported by your module tutor and will consist of pre-class reading preparation, research, assessment preparation, development and writing as well as skills development and online tests and quizzes.
- The assessment for this programme is 100% coursework.
- Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) is embedded throughout the course with tools such as the ‘Blackboard’ eLearning Portal and electronic reading lists that will guide your preparation for seminars and independent research.
- We offer extensive student support in and outside of the classroom with a dedicated student support team based in London.
Careers and further study
The qualification is designed to accelerate your skills and competence in a range of job roles, including roles in
- Leadership and Management in IT
- Cyber Security Engineer
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Cyber Security Consultant
- IT Security and Support Manager
- Information Security Professional
- Business Analyst.
In addition, the specialist modules provide opportunities to develop your career in roles such as Big Data Security Analyst and Big Data Developer and also for a career in the networking field such as Network Analyst, Network Solution Architect, Network Engineer, Network Specialist and Network Manager.
Academic entry requirements
- Minimum 2:2 or above from a recognised university in any discipline (except Cyber Security)
- Professional qualifications that are equivalent to an honours degree
Non-standard entry requirements
- Relevant qualifications and/or work experience, such as CompTIA, Cisco, Microsoft, (ISC)2 , Amazon AWS or any other related certifications, will be taken into consideration where the applicant has the judged potential to benefit from the programme. Requests will be considered on an individual basis by the Programme Leader and relevant module tutors where appropriate.
International entry equivalencies
We accept a wide range of international qualifications. Please visit our entry requirements page for country-specific qualifications.
Please note that if your qualifications are not in English, we might need certified translations in order to proceed with your application.
Please note: we are not currently able to sponsor international students to study this programme. If you require sponsorship to study as an international student, this course will unfortunately be unavailable to you. For an alternative option, have a look at our full-time MSc Cyber Security Technology programme.