About the course
Software Development Apprentice (Newcastle)
Programme: England | Software and web development | TRAILBLAZER - Software Development Technician (Java) | Level 3
Area of interest Software and web development
Working location1 Cobalt Business Park
Silver Fox Way
Newcastle upon Tyne
Closing date: 10/02/2019
DXC Technology helps clients harness the power of innovation to thrive on change. For more than 60 years, we have successfully guided the world’s largest enterprises and government agencies through successful change cycles.
We take pride in our technology independence and our role as a trusted advisor. Our deep experience gives us a clear and confident vision to help clients navigate the future.
As the world’s leading independent, end-to- end IT services company, we are uniquely positioned to lead digital transformations — creating greater value for clients, partners and shareholders, and presenting growth opportunities for our people. We are among the world’s best corporate citizens.
Job overview / purpose:
Assists in engineering programmes using cutting-edge technologies (Cloud/ Containers/ AI/ Blockchain). Participates in configuration of product, implementation, maintenance and/or upgrades of solutions. Participates in problem solving and helping clients transform their businesses.
Main responsibilities: [will include but not be limited do]
- Participating in the development of various infrastructure solutions including Public Cloud e.g. Azure and AWS as well as data center / private cloud to deliver high availability, rapidly developed, fully automated solutions using predominately open source software which deliver value to the customer.
- Maintaining awareness on the latest technologies and methodologies and helping with designing and implementing innovative approaches to our customer’s problems using Automation.
- Gaining an understanding of software standards, being able to learn processes and procedures to ensure maximum re-use and maintaining standards.
- Ability to identify continuous improvements to both the process and the systems.
- Understanding security policies and implementing solutions that satisfy the security requirements.
- Participating in the Design and implementation of solutions, which have high availability and are scalable.
- An interest and aptitude for working in IT
- Attention to detail with a pragmatic and enthusiastic attitude to work.
- Basic communication and analysis skills to listen to client and articulate back for feedback and solutions
- Basic verbal and written communication skills
- Basic problem-solving skills to identify, analyse and assist in solving business application problems
- Basic presentation skills to present to management and customers
- Basic personal computer and business solutions software skills
- Ability to publicly represent company with internal and external clients
- Ability to convey a strong presence, professional image, and deal confidently with business problems
- Ability to communicate technical and business matters clearly in lay terms for comprehension by multiple audiences
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple shifting priorities
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a complex environment
- Someone with an enthusiastic and professional attitude and a commitment to learning new skills.
Desired qualification requirements:
- 7 x GCSE (or equivalent) at grades A-C(9-4) including Maths and English Language.
- Experience working with computers and exposure to software development methodology and software testing techniques and tools
- Experience working with configuration management, defect tracking, query tools and other software productivity tools.
5 days per week,
Hours between 9:00am - 5:30pm,
37.5 hours per week, [all details will be confirmed with the employer]
£14,500 per annum
QA’s apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.