About the course
CyberSec First Responder
About this Course
This course covers the duties of those who are responsible for monitoring and detecting security incidents in information systems and networks, and for executing a proper response to such incidents. Depending on the size of the organization, this individual may act alone or may be a member of a cybersecurity incident response team (CSIRT). The course introduces tools and tactics to manage cybersecurity risks, identify various types of common threats, evaluate the organization's security, collect and analyse cybersecurity intelligence, and handle incidents as they occur. Ultimately, the course promotes a comprehensive approach to security aimed toward those on the front lines of defence.
This course is designed to assist students in preparing for the CyberSec First Responder™ (Exam CFR-310) certification examination. What you learn and practice in this course can be a significant part of your preparation.
In addition, this course can help students who are looking to fulfil DoD directive 8570.01 for information assurance (IA) training. This program is designed for personnel performing IA functions, establishing IA policies, and implementing security measures and procedures for the Department of Defence and affiliated information systems and networks.
This course is designed primarily for Cyber Security practitioners who perform job functions related to protecting information systems by ensuring their availability, integrity, authentication, confidentiality, and non-repudiation. This course focuses on the knowledge, ability, and skills necessary to provide for the defence of those information systems in a Cyber Security context, including protection, detection, analysis, investigation, and response processes. In addition, the course ensures that all members of an IT team—everyone from help desk staff to the Chief Information Officer—understand their role in these security processes.
To ensure your success in this course, you should meet the following requirements:
- At least two years (recommended) of experience in computer network security technology or a related field.
- Foundation-level operational skills with some of the common operating systems for computing environments.
- Foundational knowledge of the concepts and operational framework of common assurance safeguards in computing environments. Safeguards include, but are not limited to, basic authentication and authorization, resource permissions, and anti-malware mechanisms.
- Foundation-level understanding of some of the common concepts for network environments, such as routing and switching.
- Foundational knowledge of major TCP/IP networking protocols, including, but not limited to, TCP, IP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, ARP, ICMP, and DHCP.
- Foundational knowledge of the concepts and operational framework of common assurance safeguards in network environments. Safeguards include, but are not limited to, firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, and VPNs.
In this course, you will assess and respond to security threats and operate a systems and network security analysis platform.
- Assess information security risk in computing and network environments.
- Analyse the cybersecurity threat landscape.
- Analyse reconnaissance threats to computing and network environments.
- Analyse attacks on computing and network environments.
- Analyse post-attack techniques on computing and network environments.
- Implement a vulnerability management program.
- Evaluate the organization's security through penetration testing.
- Collect cybersecurity intelligence.
- Analyse data collected from security and event logs.
- Perform active analysis on assets and networks.
- Respond to cybersecurity incidents.
- Investigate cybersecurity incidents.
Module 1: Assessing Information Security Risk
Identify the Importance of Risk Management
Integrate Documentation into Risk Management
Module 2: Analysing the Threat Landscape
Classify Threats and Threat Profiles
Perform Ongoing Threat Research
Module 3: Analysing Reconnaissance Threats to Computing and Network Environments
Implement Threat Modeling
Assess the Impact of Reconnaissance
Assess the Impact of Social Engineering
Module 4: Analysing Attacks on Computing and Network Environments
Assess the Impact of System Hacking Attacks
Assess the Impact of Web-Based Attacks
Assess the Impact of Malware
Assess the Impact of Hijacking and Impersonation Attacks
Assess the Impact of DoS Incidents
Assess the Impact of Threats to Mobile Security
Assess the Impact of Threats to Cloud Security
Module 5: Analysing Post-Attack Techniques
Assess Command and Control Techniques
Assess Persistence Techniques
Assess Lateral Movement and Pivoting Techniques
Assess Data Exfiltration Techniques
Assess Anti-Forensics Techniques
Module 6: Managing Vulnerabilities in the Organisation
Implement a Vulnerability Management Plan
Assess Common Vulnerabilities
Conduct Vulnerability Scans
Module 7: Implementing Penetration Testing to Evaluate Security
Conduct Penetration Tests on Network Assets
Follow Up on Penetration Testing
Module 8: Collecting Cybersecurity Intelligence
Deploy a Security Intelligence Collection and Analysis Platform
Collect Data from Network-Based Intelligence Sources
Collect Data from Host-Based Intelligence Sources
Module 9: Analysing Log Data
Use Common Tools to Analyse Logs
Use SIEM Tools for Analysis
Module 10: Performing Active Asset and Network Analysis
Analyse Incidents with Windows-Based Tools
Analyse Incidents with Linux-Based Tools
Analyse Indicators of Compromise
Module 11: Responding to Cybersecurity Incidents
Deploy an Incident Handling and Response Architecture
Contain and Mitigate Incidents
Prepare for Forensic Investigation as a CSIRT
Module 12: Investigating Cybersecurity Incidents
Apply a Forensic Investigation Plan
Securely Collect and Analyse Electronic Evidence
Follow Up on the Results of an Investigation
|Start date||Location / delivery|
|13 May 2019||London||Book now|
|20 May 2019||Manchester||Book now|
|20 May 2019||Online||Book now|
|15 Jul 2019||London||Book now|
|12 Aug 2019||Manchester||Book now|
|16 Sep 2019||London||Book now|
|16 Sep 2019||Online||Book now|
|14 Oct 2019||London||Book now|
|14 Oct 2019||Online||Book now|
|04 Nov 2019||Manchester||Book now|
|11 Nov 2019||London||Book now|
|16 Dec 2019||London||Book now|
|16 Dec 2019||Online||Book now|
|03 Feb 2020||London||Book now|
|03 Feb 2020||Online||Book now|