About the course
The CISMP course outline
CISMP is an established and internationally recognised foundation-level qualification that demonstrates a good knowledge of information security management.
Accredited by The Chartered Institute for IT (BCS) and delivered by an experienced cyber security consultant, our five-day training course prepares you for the CISMP exam – held on the final day of the course – and enables you to put your new knowledge and skills to work instantly.
CISMP is acknowledged across the UK and is approved by the government in the Certified Professional (CCP) training scheme.
The benefits of the CISMP course
Delivered by professionals
IT Governance’s 5-day CISMP - Certificate in Information Security Management Principles Training Course is delivered by an experienced cyber security consultant.
A complete introduction to BCS
You’ll receive detailed instruction in all the areas of the BCS syllabus, preparing you for the CISMP exam.
Comply with government requirements
CISMP is acknowledged across the UK and is approved by the UK Government in the CCP scheme.
The CISMP course pass rate
The average pass rate for this course is 96%.
Who should attend this course?
IT professionals who wish to develop a career in information security management. Existing IT managers who want to enhance their information security knowledge to ensure that information security management and controls are adequately implemented in their organisation.
- GRC Consultant
- IT/ Information Security Manager
- IT/ Information Security analyst
- IT Manager
- Project Manager
- Infrastructure engineer
Why choose IT Governance for your training needs?
IT Governance is internationally recognised as the authority on ISO 27001. Our team led the world’s first ISO 27001 certification project, and since then we have trained more than 7,000 professionals on information security management system (ISMS) implementations and audits.
What does the CISMP course cover?
Attendees gain a solid understanding of risk management, technical controls, legal frameworks, physical security, international standards and business continuity, including:
- The concepts relating to information security management, including: confidentiality, integrity and availability (CIA); vulnerabilities and threats; risks; and countermeasures;
- The current national legislation and regulations that affect information security management;
- The current national and international standards (such as ISO 27001), frameworks and organisations that facilitate the management of information security;
- The current business and common technical environments in which information security management has to operate; and
- The categorisation, operation and effectiveness of controls of different types and characteristics.
You can download a copy of the BCS CISMP syllabus here >>
- Needs and risk - including concepts, definitions and risk management
- Corporate governance - including organisation and responsibility, policies standard and processes, forensics and cryptography
- IT and technical - including malware, IT infrastructure and testing audit and review
- Regulatory - including standard, system development and support, BCM and legal
- People and training
What’s included in this course?
- Full course materials (digital copy provided as a PDF file);
- A professional training venue with lunch and refreshments;
- The BCS Foundation Certificate in Information Security Management Principles exam; and
- A certificate of attendance.
What equipment should I bring?
The exam is an online exam. You will need to bring a ‘pop-up enabled’ laptop/tablet to the venue. Full details on how to access the exam will be provided by email 1–2 days before sitting the exam.
Course duration and times
Day 1: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Day 2: 9:15 am – 4:30 pm
Day 3: 9:15 am – 4:30 pm
Day 4: 9:15 am – 4:30 pm
Day 5: 9:15 am – 3:00 pm
This course is equivalent to 35 CPD/CPE points.
If you work in the public sector, or supply services to the public sector, then the CISMP qualification is particularly important. It is part of The Certified Professional (CCP) Scheme, licensed by the NCSC (the National Cyber Security Centre, which is a part of GCHQ, the Government Communications Headquarters). The CCP scheme has been developed to provide independent assessment and verification of Information Assurance professionals working in the public sector. It also provides a clearly defined career development path.
In addition, all successful BCS candidates are eligible for a year’s free Associate Membership, enabling them to get more from their professional certification and to support their career development.
How much does the CISMP course cost?
The course costs £1,595 ex VAT.
IT Governance is a BCS Accredited Training Partner and is authorised to manage the exam for the BCS Foundation Certificate in Information Security Management Principles.
This is a two-hour multiple-choice online exam, consisting of 100 questions. The exam is taken via the BCS E-Professional Portal at the end of day 5. Candidates need to achieve a minimum of 65 out of 100 to pass, and 80 out of 100 to gain a distinction.
What qualifications will I receive?
BCS Foundation Certificate in Information Security Management Principles.
This qualification is recognised across the UK as an essential first step on the ladder to a successful information security career and is approved by the UK government and the MOD in the CCP scheme.
How will I receive my exam results and certificates?
Provisional exam results will be available immediately on completion of the exam. Confirmed exam results will be issued within ten working days from the date of the exam.
Certificates for those who have achieved a passing grade will be issued within ten working days from the date of the exam
Results notifications and certificates are sent directly to candidates by the relevant exam board in electronic format; please note that hard copy exam certificates are not issued.
Can exams be retaken?
Yes, if you are unsuccessful on the first attempt you can retake the exam for an additional fee. You can email us to schedule the retest for the exam.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
Although there are no formal entry requirements, we assume that all attendees have some IT knowledge.
Is there any recommended reading?
We recommend that all attendees purchase and read Information Security Management Principles, the approved BCS reference book for this course and examination.