About the course
London - Baker St.
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The work of our Audit teams is essential, not just to BDO, but to the whole economy. Working within a range of companies, from start-ups to FTSE350 companies, in multiple sectors, they verify the accuracy of our clients’ financial statements for stakeholders, ensuring the stability and authenticity of the financial market. It’s not just analysing numbers though; Audit teams really get to know their clients. That means you’ll spend every day working as part of a team, often on clients’ premises, working with key individuals to understand their financial performance, business systems, culture and risks. The graduate programme offers unparalleled exposure to a range of sectors and the potential for international secondment.
We’ll help you succeed
The three-year Technology Audit Graduate Programme is your opportunity to obtain a unique insight into a wide range of businesses and technologies, get real experience on real projects and achieve a recognised professional qualification. We’ll cover your exam fees and give you the study leave and extra training you’ll need to pass them while you balance your own workload. That training isn’t just about passing the exams, you’ll learn a range of personal, management, technical and client-related skills that will help you become a full rounded BDO auditor and achieve your full potential.
The salary for this role is £28,000 and your job title will be Audit Trainee.
Programme & Qualification
When joining the Technology Risk Assurance (TRA) team you will be given the unique opportunity to choose your formal training pathway. Should you prefer the Business, Finance and Accounting pathway, we offer the globally recognised Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) qualification, enabling individuals to become qualified chartered accountants and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). The ACA qualification and apprenticeship provides a broad range of accounting, finance and business skills, and opens a wealth of opportunities. The duration of this programme is 36 months. On completion of your training programme and having qualified as a Chartered Accountant, you will also be offered the opportunity to study towards the Certified System Auditor (CISA) qualification, through the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA).
Alternatively, we also offer our Technical Specialist pathway which provides direct training into emerging technologies, application specific programs, or industry standard technologies or if you are a member of our data team, the opportunity to study towards the BCS qualification from the Chartered institute for IT. Regardless of your selected topic of specialisation in this pathway, all agreed options will provide you with dedicated time for professional development, will help shape your unique career as a specialist IT auditor, and allow you to apply these bespoke skills first hand into many of the large businesses we work with. The duration of this programme is 36 months, including the requirement that all trainees within TRA must still pass the Accounting and Assurance modules of the ICAEW within the first 6 months.
All trainees on the Technical Specialist Pathway, except for those who will specialise within data will also be expected to obtain the Certified Information System Auditor (CISA) qualification, through the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA).
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
• Develop an understanding of the principles of technology risk and controls allowing you to work with clients to identify and mitigate these risks
• Understand and document a client’s IT environment relevant to the audited financial statements
• Identify and evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of client controls for managing risks around information security, change management, computer operations, and system design and development
• Provide advice to clients on how to improve their control environments, reduce risk and optimise operating efficiency
• Develop an understanding of data analytical tools, techniques and methodologies for analysing large volumes of data
• Work with clients to use data analytics for providing key insights to their business
• Support firm-wide initiatives for the use of data analytics
Other areas :
• Use your insights and knowledge to help BDO develop new solutions and initiatives that reflect the changing pace of technology and the technologies of the future
• Overtime become a subject matter expert in established and emerging IT risk areas and the impact that this may have on the wider business and applying your knowledge in unique, complex client environments.
When you join us
We understand that everyone learns in different ways and the same environment isn’t always suited to every task. We’ll help you deliver the best quality output by giving you choice and flexibility around how, when and where you work. When you need to work collaboratively, you’ll be able to work closely with colleagues, whether that’s in our offices, onsite with clients, or one of our brand-new hubs; when you need to focus, you’ll be able to work from home or in one of our quiet concentration spaces, using technology to stay connected with colleagues. We’ll provide the environment, digital tools and training to enable you to perform at your best, whatever the task in hand, for yourself, your team, and your clients.
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you’re right for us, you’ll thrive in an environment built to help you succeed. We’re looking for someone with:
• A 2:2 degree in any discipline (obtained or predicted)
• Three A-levels or equivalent at A* to C excluding General Studies and Extended Projects (obtained or predicted)
• A 9–4 in Maths and English at GCSE or equivalent (we will also consider qualifications from outside the UK)
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review remuneration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well as offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following core benefits:
• 25 days’ holiday;
• access to a Group Personal Pension Plan, with matched employer contributions;
• Life Assurance cover;
• Income Protection insurance;
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different, so we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
• buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
• add on Private Medical, Personal Accident, Dental or Travel Insurance; Home Technology
• enrol in our Bikes to Work scheme;
• enjoy discounts at cinemas, dining out, shopping and gyms through our Employee Discounts arrangement;
• receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
• access additional services like our financial wellbeing platform, online GP service or our Employee Assistance Programme